This session is part of the Follett Growing Readers Series
From babyhood through school age, books play important roles in children’s lives. They support language and concept development, provide information and entertainment, deepen adult-child relationships, support creativity and the arts, foster social-emotional growth and the development of resiliences, and prime children for later school and life success.
For a young child, a book can be a familiar friend — or a door to an exciting new world. But all of these potentials can only be realized when we choose books well, share them in small groups or individually, and use them as springboards for enriching conversations.
In this webinar, given jointly by a developmental psychologist and a children’s librarian, we will explore:
• What children at different ages (from 6 months to 3 or 4 years) do with books.
• What books children like at different ages and why.
• How to generate interest and engagement with different kinds of books.
• Using books as conversation starters and conversation extenders.
• Sharing books in multi-aged groups.
• Supporting teachers to create and make the most of book-sharing opportunities, at circle time and beyond.
• Engaging families to build their children’s love of books and a shared “culture of reading”.
Attend this session and you will be entered to win a CUSTOM Door prize from Follett Early Learning!
When you attend the Growing Readers Series webinars, you will automatically have a chance to win a collection of books and/or other resources customized to your specifications with the personalized expert guidance of the literacy specialists at Follett Early Learning.
All sessions are 1.5 hours long, and include a brief announcement from our sponsor.
2:oo PM – 3:30 PM Eastern Time.
Can’t participate in our webinars at the appointed time? Never fear! All of the webinars are recorded. To view the recordings, simply register now and you will receive an email with a link to the recording when it is ready to be viewed. You can still download the certificate by watching the recording to the end when the certificate link is announced and displayed on the screen.
*Please be advised that you will only be eligible for the great door prizes if you participate in the live session.Download
Session Recording: View