September 25, 2013
2:00 pm Eastern Time
Early Childhood Consultant
Cate Heroman, LLC
Independent Professional Training & Coaching Professional
Carol Aghayan, LLC
This session is part of the Follett Growing Readers Series
We know children love to tell and retell stories. But story retelling is a powerful strategy for teachers, coaches and administrators who must help children meet standards. In fact, story retelling is a standard in the Common Core State Standards for kindergarten and in many state early learning standards. Join national early childhood experts Cate Heroman and Carol Aghayan for an engaging, lively session about story retelling. During this webinar, you will learn what story retelling is and why it is an important. You will also find out how story retelling skills develop over time and the key role teacher-child interactions play in scaffolding and guiding literacy learning. You’ll be inspired by the many creative, innovative ideas that you can use to pass on to teachers to enhance story retelling throughout your program.
• Learn what children learn through retelling stories, the research behind it, and why it is important;
• See how intentional teaching of story retelling leads to accomplishments on selected early learning standards and Common Core State Standards;
• Explore titles of classic and newly released children’s literature and informational books appropriate for retelling stories;
• Identify characteristics that makes books ideal for retelling;
• Discover practical tips, strategies, and innovative ideas for enhancing story retelling using props, dramatizations, and technology; and
• Plan how you can provide training and coaching to teachers to help them become masterful with story retelling strategies.
Tweet to @FollettLearning during the session for a chance to win iTunes gift cards!
SPECIAL TWITTER CHAT! Post Webinar Tweeting with the Presenters!
Join us on Twitter for 30 minutes after the webinar to continue the conversation with
Cate Heroman and Carol Aghyan. Follow #ecelit to participate!
Attend this session and you will be entered to win a CUSTOM Door prize!
When you attend the Growing Readers Series webinars, you will automatically have a chance to win a collection of books and/or other resources customized to your specifications with the personalized expert guidance of
the literacy specialists at Follett Early Learning.
All sessions are 1.5 hours long, and include a brief announcement from our sponsor.
2:00 PM – 3:30 PM Eastern Time.
Take a look at the other webinars in the Early Childhood Investigations Lineup
Join us on Twitter for 30 minutes after the webinar to continue the conversation with the Cate Heroman and Carol Aghyan. Follow #ecelit to participate!
Session Recording: View
Resources from Follett Early Learning:
The following Comprehension and Oral Language Collection was developed with Cate Heroman and the early learning collection development experts at Follett Early Learning.
HANDOUTS AND SLIDES AVAILABLE AFTER THE WEBINAR TODAY.