March 23, 2011
2:00 pm Eastern Time
Teacher Educator/Family Life Educator
Oklahoma State University
What does it take to have a quality outdoor space and engaging outdoor play? Who is at the core of a nurturing outdoor play environment? The answer is YOU! Join this webinar to explore how to create joyful and play-filled outdoor learning experiences for young children and their grown-ups.
The outdoor learning environment has the potential to be a special space for nurturing the minds, bodies, and spirits of all young children and adults. Play that occurs in the outdoor environment is an important part of a high quality early childhood program. What does it take to have a quality outdoor space and engaging outdoor play? It starts with the adults who create those spaces and experiences. At the core of every high quality outdoor learning environment is a passionate administrator. Is this you? If so, you are the person who sets the tone and the expectations for the staff, children and families who live and learn in the outdoor space. Join Vicki Ehlers in this webinar to explore experiences, understandings, and materials that create joyful and engaging outdoor spaces and experiences. It’s inexpensive and easy to do! Let’s go out and play!
All sessions are 1.5 hours long, and include a brief announcement from our sponsor.
2:oo PM – 3:30 PM Eastern Time.Session Slides: Download
Session Recording: View
- The Power of Play by David Elkind
- Play: How It Shapes the Brain, Opens the Imagination, and Invigorates the Soul by Stuart Brown, M.D.
- Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv
- Research Paper: The Benefits of Playgrounds for Children Aged 0-5
Outdoor Play Environments
- Natural Playscapes by Rusty Keeler
- Earthplay: Creating Outdoor Play Environments for the Soul
- Developing An Outdoor Classroom: Blending classroom curriculum and outdoor play space
Outdoor Play: Websites and Blogs
- The InvestiGator Club News, “The Importance of Play”
- NAEYC: Resources for Teaching and Learning about the Natural World
- The National Institute for Play
- Dimensions Educational Research Foundation
- Head Start Body Start Toolbox
Resources mentioned during the session and other great references
- From Bethe Almeras: Play Space Assessment by Head Start Body Start
- From Bethe Almeras: Head Start Early Childhood Learning and Knowledge Center Natural Playspaces
- From Bethe Almeras: Free on demand webinar on Loose Parts